|Make Your Own at Zipmeme.com|
Here is what WAR is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wins_above_replacement
See what I did there? It is called a transition. I am now going to make my extremely biased choice for the American League MVP and Cy Young. You guessed it, Miggy should win the MVP (regardless of whether or not he wins the Triple Crown) and Justin Verlander should win the AL Cy Young. I admit that Mike Trout is deserving of the award as well, but I am taking Miguel because WAR is a flawed statistic and should not supplant every other criteria for the award. That would be like saying "instead of counting the entire electoral college for the election, we are just going to go whichever way Oregon goes, that seems like a cool state. People treat WAR as if there was a parallel universe where this "replacement player" was put in every situation and AB that the player being compared to was a part of. IT DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY. If you like newer trendier statistics: Miguel has a better OPS and more Runs Created. Trout steals more bases and plays better defense but he strikes out more and has cooled off down the stretch run. Am I going to never watch baseball again if Trout wins? Of course not. Do I think Miguel deserves consideration for his phenomenal career to this point? No. I think that if you look at this year in its entiety, throw out the sexy story lines and sexy statistics, then you will see that Miguel has been the Most Valuable Player in the MLB this year.
Now I will make my case for Justin Verlander...he has the highest WAR of every AL pitcher. DUH.
|Photo courtesy of
10. Seattle Seahawks- Defense is awesome, Russ Wilson getting there, best home field advantage in league
9. Cincinnati Bengals- The defense needs to shore up but the offense looks fantastic
8. Chicago Bears- Opposite of Bengals
7. Pittsburgh Steelers- Big Ben playing like an MVP but defense has me SMDH
6. Arizona Cardinals- The Good: Defense top 5 in NFL The Bad: Kevin Kolb starting QB The Ugly: John Skelton may create a QB controversy when he is healthy
5. San Fransisco 49ers- Runs, stops the run, great coach, but just an OK QB (keep in mind, do not over-react, he is still Alex Smith
4. New England Patriots- BIAS ALERT by week 8 Hernandez will be back and defense will be top 10 in NFL, playing so much better. D just has to learn to finish
3. Green Bay Packers- Defense is much improved, something tells me A Rod will be ok
2. Baltimore Ravens/Atlanta Falcons- They aren't going anywhere. Awesome D, emerging receivers, QB becoming stud
1. NY Giants- Defending champs and playing like it.